On January 2, 2013 the new Federal Skilled Trades Program started for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
Citizen and Immigration Canada will accept 3,000 completed applications for processing in the first year.
To apply, you must:
- plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
- meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
- have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience)* in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
- meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
- have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year** or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.
*“Full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid work experience. For example: